Skip to main content


Check out our FAQs for Guided Pathways

What is CLASS?

The Center for Learning, Advising and Student Success (CLASS) provides academic guidance and support to students at WVU. There are multiple offices at the university that fall under CLASS, including Student Success, TRIO programs, and academic advising for undecided, pre-professional and guided pathway students.

Where is CLASS located?

CLASS is located in the Student Services Center, next to the Mountainlair and across from Oglebay Hall. The main office is located in 102 Student Services Center.

The building where the Advising Center is located.

Why was I admitted into CLASS?

There are three reasons why you would be admitted into CLASS:

  • You have not yet chosen a major and are undecided about what you want to study;
  • You selected a major when you applied, but you did not meet the admission requirements for that program. You have been admitted into a guided pathway, which offers many related or parallel possibilities that can lead to a career that is meaningful and fulfilling; or
  • You are a pre-professional student who plans to study pharmacy, occupational therapy, biomedical laboratory diagnostics or immunology and medical microbiology, all programs that traditionally do not directly admit freshmen.

How does a major relate to a college?

Each major is associated with a degree that is awarded by a college or school. 

In order to declare a major, you will need to be admitted into the college or school that confers the degree in which you are interested.

Until you are formally admitted into the college or school that confers your degree, you will be part of CLASS and will be assigned a professional adviser who will work with you one-on-one until you are admitted into the degree of your choice.

How do I get to my major from CLASS?

If you have an interest in a certain major, you will need to meet the admission requirements for that college or school, degree and/or major. You will meet with your CLASS adviser, who will work with you to create an academic plan in DegreeWorks. This plan will guide you towards completing admission requirements, as well as meet General Education Foundations (GEF) requirements.

Once you meet the major’s admission requirements, you will then be assigned to a new adviser within your new major.

If I am admitted into CLASS, will it take me longer to graduate?

Not necessarily, though it will depend on your academic performance. Our goal is to help you gain admission into your major as soon as possible. Your adviser will help you develop an academic plan that is aimed at keeping you on track.

You will have the time you need to explore majors and career options while still fulfilling graduation requirements.

Can my adviser change my course schedule?

No, the only person who can adjust your schedule is YOU! Advisers will work with you to discuss courses, but you get to create the best schedule for yourself. The Office of the University Registrar oversees the registration process.